BTW, Gay is someone’s name in this instance.
Archive for the ‘Misc Thoughts’ Category
Tags: Belgium, Collingwood Football Club, England, Finland, FIS Snowboard World Championships, Project Gutenberg, Silver medal, Travel and Tourism
My seems to be going fine. I have a lot of information but it is a lot of monotonous work. Fortunately I have been on holidays from work but soon I will go back and will have less time on my hands for this stuff. While it may look like I haven’t been publishing many posts, I have been doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff, preparing information and writing stuff for future posts. project
For anyone interested in seeing what I have been up to there is an index of posts which feature posts that have been already published and those which are still in draft form.
Tags: Adrian Quist, Australia, Davis Cup, Dunlop Volley, Greater Melbourne, Jack Davey, Melbourne, MYER, Oceania, Sydney, The Age, Victoria
Here are some more print ads from The Age from 1953.
The first one is for Jack Davey, who at the time was the highest paid radio personality in Australia. I guess his shows, of which he had many, were simulcast into Melbourne from Sydney on 3AW.
This is another Davey related ad but it comes from the Sun and is about his appearance at Myer rather than his radio show.
I didn’t know that there was an Oscar for most popular shoes, but if there were it would go to the ever popular Dunlop Volleys.
Seeing as the Dunlop Volley’s are tennis shoes devloped by Australian Davis Cup player Adrian Quist in 1940, it is perhaps apt to have an ad for 3AW’s Davis Cup coverage from Kooyong in December 1953.
And finally an ad for Tom Corbett Space Cadet, which was a radio serial of an American TV show of the early 1950s. In Australia we used Aussie actors in the roles instead of directly playing the US serial.
Tags: Australia, Bruce Mansfield, Graham Kennedy, Ian Johnson, John Coleman, John Doremus, Norman Banks, Passing Parade, Sport, Windy Hill Essendon
The first one is from April 1953 and is an ad for 3AW’s coverage of Round 1 action between Essendon and Fitzroy from Windy Hill featuring Norman Banks and future Australian cricket captain Ian Johnson. This was a game in which the Bombers won by 23 points and in which John Coleman kicked 10 goals. This would have been the first game for 3AW that was called by Norman Banks.
The next ad is for The Passing Parade, which in 1953 was apparently Australia’s most popular radio show. I guess this is the 15 minute program that Bruce Mansfield and Phillip Brady play on Remember When on a Sunday night featuring John Doremus. Test Jests I guess would have been cricket related as Australia was at that time in England fighting for the Ashes.
The following ad was from late December 1953 and I guess was sort of announcing 3AW’s new breakfast personality Happy Hammond. By September 1956 Happy would be at 3UZ teaming up with Graham Kennedy. Happy was a Geelong supporter so he would have been thrilled that his Cat’s were beaten by the Mighty Magpies in the 1953 Grand Final.
Tags: Advertising, Andrew Strauss, Ashes, Australia, Cheltenham, Dandenong, Dandenong Victoria, Edithvale, Edithvale Victoria, England, Ian Bell, Melbourne, Paul Collingwood, Test cricket, The Ashes, Thorold Merrett
I have found quite a few interesting things through my research on the 1953 Collingwood Premiership team, most of which I don’t think anyone but me cares about. Anyway I will post it here just for posterities sake.
This is from the Argus, Friday June 2 1950 about Thorold Merrett‘s first game with Collingwood.
I have found lots of advertisements whilst going through the old newspapers and some are quite weird but I guess a reflection of their time. This is an advertisement from the Argus regarding attractions at the 1953 Royal Melbourne Show.
This ad for Wirth’s Circus is interesting. I can understand that in 1953 Frankston, Dandenong and Edithvale were considered country areas but Cheltenham. I wonder were the city ended and the country began?!
Tags: Andrew Bolt, Anna Bligh, Australia, Brisbane, Christian, Danny Nalliah, Flood, Fred Phelps, God, Israel, Julia Gillard, Kevin Rudd, Lockyer Valley, New South Wales, Nuclear weapon, Oceania, Prime minister, Queensland, Toowoomba, United States, Westboro Baptist Church
With the horrible events occurring in Queensland at the moment I am very dismayed at the parasites from the Catch the Fire Ministries who instead of doing the Christian thing and donating money and goods and prayers to those people who have lost everything and are in need of our support, have instead made the ridiculous claim that it is in fact God who is punishing Queensland because former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd asked Israel to allow UN weapons inspectors to look at their nuclear weapons. (Wouldn’t God want all nations to do away with such destructive weapons?) Some of these so-called Christians are welcoming this tragedy as punishment for what Kevin Rudd has done and are predicting an apocalypse to visit Australia soon for our sinfulness. This is the same group that last year said that Australia would feel God’s wrath because Julia Gillard, a non-Christian and a woman, was Prime Minister. It is not just Pastor Danny Nalliah who is making such silly statements but scarily so too are the followers of his church.
Dear Pastor Danny,
Thankyou for bringing our attention to this information re Israel. We have closely followed such episodes worldwide –including the oil explosion in USA in 2010. Interestingly when my husband wrote a letter to the Bendigo newspaper listing the “coincidences” between natural disasters and snubbing Israel, they were never printed. Nor was our report on trip to Israel in 2010 printed in the church news. Perhaps expected in the city. But in a regional newspaper both of these would normally be printed as a matter of course. Furthermore they had sent their photographer to tae a picture of the team that went to Israel for throne room worship on Mt Carmel but they never printed their own picture!!!!
Again thankyou for bringing our attention to this information.
I wonder why the Bendigo newspaper did not print her letter.
I believe very specifically that the Lord is saying that if our present Premier (Qld) and Prime Minister (Aus) do not repent of their lies and cry out to God we are about to see even greater devastation. The nation needs a voice that presents a clarion call to walk as our forefathers did in a fear of God the church needs this voice too from it’s pulpits as a call to righteous worship of our Holy God.
God bless. Keep up the God work.
So this would not have happened if Tony Abbot was PM?
Dear Pastor Daniel,
I found this news email most interesting because on the 15th Dec 2010, I sent an email to Kevin Rudd. I had read about his behaviour to Israel, and was quite worried about the consequences of his actions. In my letter I mentioned that GOD blesses those who bless the Jews and curses those who curse the Jews. I also mentioned that GOD usually uses the weather to show his displeasure and that there are records, that I know of, going back to 1938 where he has done this.
Another scripture that has attracted my attention is from Romans 1 : 18, on to verse 20. In the column explanation it speaks of Natures Revelation.
We normally associate Romans 1 about homosexuality, but this is the result of not acknowledging GOD and HE has given them over to their sinful desires.
Many christians believe that global warming and climate change is for real and have not sought GOD’s view. It has been all hatched up to hasten in Global government. Would this not be an insult to HIM that we have not brought HIM into our thinking.
About our present government. People have not wanted GOD, so we get an atheist Prime Minister. Morals are a disgrace in this country, we get a PM living in adultery, a real good witness to anyone choosing this lifestyle. Looking at GOD’s order in The Bible, is it right to have a woman ruling over us?
I think you are spot on, we have to repent, as you’ve said, 2 Chron 7:14.
I will pray about going to Melbourne to attend your church services.
It would be so good to attend a service and feel the move of the SPIRIT.
Your brother in CHRIST
It’s because we have women in positions of power then.
This of course is the Pastor Fred Phelps, the most hated man in America who asserted that God sent the shooter who tried to assassinate Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and murdered six people including a Federal judge. Phelps also plans to picket the funeral of nine-year-old shooting victim Christina Greene.
The question that I want to ask is what does Andrew Bolt have to say about this? You may question why I think it is necessary for Bolt to talk about this fundamentalist Christian cult, yet he has defended their pastor Danny Nalliah several times. He has also been quick to defend Sarah Palin’s use of crosshairs on her website that targeted Congresswoman Giffords and criticised anyone who may suggest that she could have been to blame for the awful shooting. (However I don’t think he gets the point, most people have made. They don’t blame her for the actions of the shooter but denounce her use of violent imagery.) Surely even Bolt, who blames Rudd and Gillard for everything can see that they are not the reasons why it is raining so much. Surely Bolt must agree that with Freedom of Speech comes a responsibility to not make stupid comments and predict that doomsday is coming because of Kevin Rudd. If a Muslim made a statement such as that Nalliah has made Bolt would have written 5 blog posts and appeared on numerous TV shows to condemn it. But as it is a Christian who is making this kind of comment will he say anything?!
The answer to my question is of course no, Bolt is too cowardly to do so as it would alienate a great share of his reading audience. Despite the fact that Bolt is a self-confessed athiest much of his audience are Christan, with a great deal of them being of the fundamentalist persuasion. It is OK for Bolt to make hourly attacks on Muslims with his comments but it is rare, if ever, that he was say anything against a Christian, regardless of what they say or do.
Tags: Andrew Bolt, Australian Football League, Australian Labor Party, Christmas Island, Derryn Hinch, Herald Sun, Labor government, Neil Mitchell, New Idea, Osama bin Laden, Paris Hilton, Rupert Murdoch, Ted Baillieu, Tony Abbott
These are the things that I predict will happen in 2011…
- AFL footballers will be involved in a scandal of some sort
- If Colllingwood players are involved in the above scandal Neil Mitchell and Derryn Hinch will be champing at the bit to see who can report it first
- The AFL scandal will probably involve St Kilda players
- NRL players will be involved in a bigger scandal than the AFL players, possibly one involving a family pet, a hotel room and human excrement
- On the first day in 2011 when the temperature dips below 25 degrees Andrew Bolt will write that there is no such thing as global warming and use this as proof that the earth is cooling
- Andrew Bolt will continue to blame the Labor government for everything, regardless of whether they are involved or not, and his readers will agree with everything he says
- Ted Baillieu will prove to be as ineffective as Brumby but will have the full support of the Herald Sun
- Metro trains will continue to run late
- The media will report stories about useless people like Paris Hilton etc as if they are of Earth Shattering importance
- Andrew Bolt will continue to be a mouthpiece for the oil and mining industries. There will be another oil spill which he will say is good for the environment
- Women’s magazines such as New Idea and Woman’s Day will continue to make stuff up
- We will have more channels on TV but there will still be nothing worth watching
- The Herald Sun will continue to act as Tony Abbott‘s mouthpiece
- Actually the whole of NEWSLTD will act as Tony Abbott’s mouthpiece
- The majority of music released in 2011 will be unlistenable
- My rent will increase in April but I may or may not get a pay rise in July
- More boats will come regardless of who is Prime Minister
- Osama bin Laden will evade capture
- Rupert Murdoch will continue to campaign against Obama
- FOX News will continue to be fair and balanced… to the right
- Channel 7’s football coverage will continue to be woeful
This is about all I can come up with at the moment
- Andrew Bolt endorses Lancet study [Deltoid] (scienceblogs.com)
- A defining year for TV (theage.com.au)
- Cop suspended over sex allegation (heraldsun.com.au)
- “Dickileaks” St.Kilda photo scandal…the plot thickens (aussiecriminals.wordpress.com)
- What dreadful news … (clubtroppo.com.au)
- ‘I’m not going to be a victim’ (heraldsun.com.au)
- Major parties neck and neck: Galaxy poll (news.theage.com.au)
- Girl needs support – Demetriou (heraldsun.com.au)
- Hawke predicts Vic Labor victory (news.theage.com.au)
- Boat crash forces look at Australia refugee policy (foxnews.com)
- Bolt: Is Rinehart’s Ten investment aimed at turning it into an Australian Fox News? (mumbrella.com.au)
- The day both extremes almost met in the middle (thepunch.com.au)
- Finger-pointing in wake of deadly boat crash off Australia (ctv.ca)
- Perfect applicant not indigenous enough for job (theage.com.au)
- Baillieu hedges promises (theage.com.au)
- Baillieu starts in fast lane (theage.com.au)
- Year of living dangerously (theage.com.au)
- Derryn Hinch fronts High Court (news.theage.com.au)
- Decade ‘the hottest ever’ (heraldsun.com.au)
- Bound for Australia, Asylum Seekers’ Boat Wrecks off Christmas Island (time.com)
- Australia: Refugees Killed in Christmas Island Shipwreck (time.com)